History of Tyler Station
TYLER STATION - 1300 S Polk St, Dallas, TX former Dixie Wax Paper Company factory
Louie C. Kimple and William H. Bryce developed waxing technology for food preservation in the back of their Dallas warehouse in 1922 with the first use of refrigeration to cool waxed paper. Dixie Wax Paper Company became one of America’s leading companies, and quickly outgrew their first small plant in Oak Cliff.
Dixie Wax Paper Co. purchased Lots 1&2 Strickland’s Acre Addition, sited between the Elmwood Branch of Cedar Creek and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway.
The original S Polk frontage factory was completed. Dixico facilities operated and expanded within 4.3 acres, 115,000 square feet.
U.S. Patents filed for machinery titled “Means for Sealing Packages”. He designed machines to seal waxed paper to keep potato chips crisp and food fresh.
DART redeveloped the rail line and added Tyler/Vernon station.
Monte Anderson and his team began due diligence and documenting the building with drawings and photos.
Simultaniously, Frank Jester began developing a residential community around the same Elmwood branch. Through an environmental necessity, sparked by growth of the neighborhood, Dixico and it’s industry moved operations from Dallas to Memphis in 1995. In the years after Dixico, Delta Industries owned and occupied the factory from 1995 through 2015. DART began expanding to Oak Cliff in 1995, and the factory is conveniently located aside the Tyler/Vernon rail station.
In spring of 2015, Monte Anderson and his investment team began due diligence, documenting the factory with drawings and photos. 2015 conditions were grim with holes in the roof from stolen a/c units, standing water in each space, pigeon and critter nests. Work began with sealing holes and a new roof. Clean-up and demo of 1970’s additions to interior of the original 1925 structure was next. Removal of a lay-in acoustic ceiling revealed a golden wood roof deck and steel truss system, now visible. Offices retain wood and glass doors and moldings from 1920’s construction.
Original steel windows were uncovered at the S Polk front façade, which had been bricked over on the exterior and framed over on the interior. An accessible entry was added to front of the building, along with a canopy on the north side, providing a covered walkway adjacent to DART Tyler Vernon Station.
An 18’-0” structural grid throughout the structure guided decisions about tenant locations and separations. Original steel sliding fire doors remain in place and many pieces of machinery extracted from the building have been repurposed on the site.
Rebranded as Tyler Station, the former factory site has been adapted for mixed-use and serves as a neighborhood hub for creative or start-up businesses.
Stash Design and Oak Cliff Brewing Company hold anchor on the east end of the site, and a co- working office called Wax Space opens to the Elmwood neighborhood on S Polk Street. As the name implies a nod to it’s original use, the original Dixie Wax offices are now inhabited by neighborhood attorneys, architects, consultants, churches, designers, filmmakers, photographers, real estate professionals, and the list grows daily. The tenant mix includes fabricators, artisans, makers, martial artists, wellness instructors, event spaces, workshops, and retail shops.
DART access on the north side of the building is at the former factory loading dock, providing easy access to public transportation. Tyler Station is adopting an incentive program for tenants who ride the rail, and will provide job opportunities and neighborhood support.
TYLER STATION -
On the DART Red Line at Tyler / Vernon Station
1300 S Polk St, Dallas, TX